Friday, January 14, 2011

Life in Phnom Penh

The wedding was a success and a great way to get to know my co-workers in the office as well as learn more about the Khmer culture. I have never seen so many sequins and fake diamonds in my life. To try to fit in I got my hair done at the market where for $2 they crimped, teased, then bobby pinned back into an up-do. Unless you’ve done it, I’m not sure you can fully appreciate what it means to have your hair teased for 20 minutes. We’re talking BIG hair until they pinned it back. Then from the front it looked semi-normal and from the back it looked like a cinnabon .    




 I was one of maybe 10 non-Khmer. The sister of the groom had 6 dress changes. The food included 7 courses ranging from pig stomach to cashews to cake. And I must say, the cake was good! It came from Bloom, another social enterprise that works with girls who have been trafficked- an IJM partner. As you can see from the picture below, it was truly an event (complete with a heart shaped wreath of flowers as an entrance!)



Following the wedding was my first full week of work and with the first full week behind me, I can say I finally do feel settled. The roosters still greet me every morning at 4:45, but my schedule is more set and a schedule is very comforting for a type-a person like me. My apartment is still wonderful and bright and feeling a little like a home away from home! My guard elephant in front of my apartment makes me feel very safe (pictures to come).

I am hoping to begin Khmai lessons next week, as communication is difficult and frustrating for all parties involved. Though my office work is all conducted in English, it would be helpful to learn some basic Khmai phrases for my daily life outside the office. I have, however, become an expert with directing moto drivers. To clarify how one travels on a moto, essentially a man on a motorcycle/motodope will pull up next to you as you're walking down the street and ask if you'd like a ride ("hey lady lady moto? moto?"). If you do, you say yes (ja for women, baat for men) and then negotiate an appropriate price (usually up to $1-2) and then hop on and off you go to wherever you need to go! 



Cheap, easy, and efficient (relatively efficient). Most people here have their own moto but I am easing into it by getting a bicycle. Much more my style. 


No comments:

Post a Comment