Tuesday, June 21, 2011

9 Things I'll Miss...

There are a number of things that I will miss when I leave this interesting country. Some more than others. Funny thing is, several of the things I know I will miss the most are things that drove me a little crazy at first. In no particular order, the 10 things I will miss the most...

Tuk Tuks and Motos: There is nothing more convenient than walking out of your apartment and immediately having a mode of transportation available. Rather than having to call a cab in Greenwich or attempt to hail one down in NYC, finding a way to transport yourself from one way to another is easy. You simply walk outside and immediately you have 6-20 offers.

The Khmer Language: I will not even pretend that my Khmai lessons ended up going well. After three months, I decided to go on a little bit of a spring break, which extended into a summer break. I am able to adequately communicate and bargain in markets or with motodops, but in general my knowledge of the language is minimal. So, why would I miss it? I will miss the forgiving nature of the Khmer people to not get angry when a barong like me has not mastered their language. Many simply laugh, smile and correct me...and then continue laughing.

Nyam Bai Howey?: This phrase, one of the few Khmer phrases I mastered, means "have you eaten rice yet?" This is a common phrase and is used as a way for people to invite you to join them for a meal. I have been invited to eat with villagers I passed during my excursions into the country side, co-workers, and even the woman who sells drinks on the corner. There is no expectation of payment, just a welcoming invitation to join them. In the States, this is often not the case.

Traveling: I have been fortunate to have been able to travel to Hong Kong, Vietnam, Laos, around Cambodia (to Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Battambang, Koh Kong, Kep, and Sihanoukville), Thailand and Indonesia during my six months in Southeast Asia. I have learned about their cultures, tried local foods, and met interesting people. Once law school starts, I know that I will not be able to travel..at all. As such, I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to see so much of the region.

Weather (in January- April): My first four months here, the weather was flawless. Blue skies, the perfect temperature, not a drop of rain. Recently with the hot season and the rainy season, the weather is not something that I will miss as much (though I am trading it in for extreme heat in the Northeast this summer). However, memories of those four perfect months of perfect weather is definitely something I will miss.

My Bike: Riding my bike around town is also something I will miss. Despite the petrifying traffic patterns, selling my bike this past week made me realize how much I enjoyed being able to explore the city on my own. The brakes on my bike were loud enough to work as a horn and I always got a laugh out of the looks I received from passerby's. It is a status symbol to ride a bike here--it usually means that you cannot afford a moto. So, a barong riding a moto is something that makes many Khmais laugh as it is assumed that all barongs are rich.

Have you gained weight? Why do you dress like a man?: In other words...brutal honesty. The Khmai people are some of the nicest people I have met. That said, honesty is something valued. Telling someone that they are fat or that they do not like what they are wearing is not an insult, its a fact. If you are ugly, you are told so.  This has led to countless moments of laughter.

Pace of life: The pace of life is definitely slower here. It caused frustration at many times at work, but ultimately it is something I have enjoyed adapting to.

Food: The amount of rice I have eaten over the past six months is absurd. Somehow, though I crave American food often, I am still not entirely sick of the diet of rice, stir fry, curry, and mystery vegetables.

Leaving Cambodia for this time is an interesting feeling. While I find it hard to think of a time I would return, I have a feeling that the Kingdom has not seen the last of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment